Guide to writing a Facebook Impressum
If you’re running a Facebook page, you’d be familiar with the word ‘Impressum.’ If this word confuses you and you’re unable to figure out its meaning, in this post, let’s find out everything necessary about Facebook Impressum.
What Is Impressum?
Although it is a Latin word adopted in German, Impressum can be used to describe varying meanings, including:
- Statement of Ownership
- Legal Notice
- Legal Disclosure
In English, the closest equivalents to this word include:
- About us page
- Legal notice
Basically, it is a fancier word used as an alternative to Terms of Conditions (TOS) and About Us pages. So, putting it in simple words, an Impressum is a statement that includes facts about a business.
In an easier way, you can consider it more like a formal About Us page of the company. Basically, it comprises information about the ownership, contact details and business address.
In German-speaking countries, an Impressum is legally required to be published online as well as in print media, such as magazines, newspapers, and books. If your business has an online presence, the availability of Impressum will simply mean disclosing the ownership of the business and contact information to customers.
As far as English-speaking countries are concerned, this term doesn’t have any legislation. However, there are similar publication terms and laws that are used to regard the authorship/owner disclosure.
Why Do I Need an Impressum?
As per the German Telemedia Act, an Impressum is needed if you are operating a commercial website, including business social media pages in Switzerland, Austria or Germany, irrespective of the domain you have.
Moreover, you’d also need an Impressum if you’re doing significant business with people residing in any of these countries. However, if you are running private pages, like personal blogs, and more that don’t generate an income, you wouldn’t need an Impressum.
What Should I Write in an Impressum?
As per the Telemedia Act, you must add the following details while writing an Impressum:
- Name of the owner or the manager of the business or page
- Address of the registered business
- Contact information, such as email address, phone number
- Information regarding business registration, such as registered name and registration number
- VAT ID number or the trade registry number (if available)
For instance, if your business is serving in the UK or the EU, you’d have to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Other than that, if you’re operating a business in California, you’d have to adhere to the California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA).
What is Facebook Impressum?
Almost more than half of the businesses, today, have a website and social media pages, Facebook being one of them. Thus, to comply with the law, Facebook added one feature that enables users to create their Impressum on a public page in order to help businesses in German-speaking nations to adhere to the law.
On Facebook, an Impressum is a section available on the About page that showcases the legal identification numbers and contact information of a business. Here, you can put nothing more than 2,000 characters.
After this, the text will be shortened and a link will be added to complete Impressum. Further, the Pages, Groups, and Event Policies of Facebook has made it necessary for administrators to obey all of the applicable regulations and rules.
Thus, if your business is subjected to the Telemedia Act, you’ll have to add an Impressum on your business’s Facebook page.
What to Include in Your Facebook Page Impressum?
Upon visiting your Facebook page, users would be able to see the Impressum information when they’ll click on the About link. Considering the restrictions in word count, you will only have to provide minimal information. On Facebook, your Impressum section should contain the following information:
- Name of the organization or business
- Address of the organization or business
- Contact information; email, fax number, phone number, of the organization or business
- Name of the manager or owner of the page as well as of the organization or business
- Registration and license numbers
- Links to the official website
- Whether the business is a part of a regulated profession
- Details of relevant professional rules, designation and chamber
- VAT ID number or business ID number (if available)
How to Add Impressum To Your Facebook Page?
Adding Impressum to the Facebook page is quite a seamless and hassle-free process. You’d neither require any tools or in-depth technical knowledge for the same. Simply follow the below-mentioned steps, and you’ll be done before you realize.
- In the left menu, from the News Feed, click Pages
- Now, choose the page where you wish to add the Impressum and click on it
- Click Edit Page Info option
- Look for the Impressum section and add the information
- Click Save Changes
And it’s done!
Some Impressum Examples
The Need for Impressum: Summary
To summarize the need for Impressum, it wouldn’t be an overstatement if said that not having an Impressum may leave you in legal troubles if you’re operating your business in the German-speaking countries.
Keeping in mind that the law has asked you to add an Impressum, make sure you don’t neglect this factor. If you haven’t added an Impressum on Facebook yet, follow the above-mentioned details, craft an Impressum and add the same to your business page by following the steps mentioned above.
Also, even if your business isn’t operating in any of the three countries, as stated in this post, adding an Impressum wouldn’t harm you in any way. Rather, it’ll just help your users acquire some additional information about your brand.
1. Do I need to write an Impressum on Facebook?
If your business is operating in any of the German-speaking countries, especially in Austria, Switzerland and Germany, you’d need to add an Impressum on Facebook.
3. Do I need to hire somebody to create an Impressum on Facebook?
No, you wouldn’t need to hire anybody, and you can do so yourself. Simply follow the steps mentioned in this post, and you’ll be able to add an Impressum on your Facebook page within a few seconds.
4. How can I remove the Impressum from my Facebook page?
To remove the Impressum from your Facebook page, go to Settings on the page. Then, scroll down and click on Edit for Impressum option. If you wish to delete everything, simply erase the content and click Save Changes.
WP Legal Pages Pro Plugin
For somebody who is new to the world of online business, creating privacy policies and other similar pages can be quite a hassle. To avert such an issue, here is one of the most recommended plugins – WP Legal Pages – that brings a variety of templates to be customized and posted on the website.
With this plugin, you get up to 30 customizable templates, like:
- Affiliate Disclosure Template
- Linking Policy Template
- Refund Policy Template
- External Links Policy Template
- Terms and Conditions Template
- Earnings Disclaimer Template
- Cookies Policy Template
- Affiliate Agreement Template
- Antispam Template
- Medical Disclaimer Template
- Double Dart Cookie Template
- FTC Statement Template
- Disclaimer Template
- Testimonials Disclosure Template
- Digital Goods Refund Policy Template
- Amazon Affiliate Disclosure Template
- California Privacy Rights Template
- DMCA Policy Template
- Newsletter Subscription and Disclaimer Template
- Blog Comments Policy Template
- About Us Template
- Return and Refund Policy Template
- California Consumer Privacy Act Template (CCPA)
- Confidentiality Disclosure Template
Installing and Activating the Plugin
Installing and activating WP Legal Pages plugin is quite a quick and instant task. It’s as simple as installing other plugins on your website. To install, you’d have to buy or free install the plugin from WordPress.org. You’ll then get to download a zip file. Next, follow these steps to activate the plugin
- Open your WordPress admin dashboard
- On the left side, click Plugins
- Choose Add New option
- Now, click on Upload Plugin option
- Upload the downloaded zip file
- Click Install Now option and activate the plugin
Your plugin is now up and running. However, before you move ahead to use this plugin, you’d have to accept the disclaimer that will display on your screen. Once accepted, you’ll be redirected to General Settings where you can customize the plugin as per your preference.
Creating a Legal Template with WP Legal Plugin
Now that you’ve understood the benefits that this plugin is capable of providing, creating a template or customizing a pre-made one will be a seamless process. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Create Page option
- Choose the type of website that you are operating
- On the right side of the dashboard, you will get to see a list of templates. select the template type that you wish to add to the site
- A new page will open up where you can see the content of the template
- There, you can edit and customize according to the requirements
- Once done, Publish the page, and it will be displayed on your WordPress website.