How to create GDPR contact form?
Are you struggling to create GDPR compliant forms on your website?
Implementation of GDPR in the EU has made it mandatory to take users’ consent for accessing and storing their personal data. If you are dealing with the personal information of EU citizens, you need a contact form with a GDPR checkbox to take users’ consent.
Going through this article you’ll be able to create GDPR contact forms on your WordPress website on your own!
What is GDPR?
General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR is a legal framework in Europian Union. It sets guidelines for the collection and processing of personal data of EU citizens. The law came into force on May 25, 2018. It gives EU citizens the following rights –
- Right to be informed: The right to know how the data will be collected, processed stored, and for what purpose before the data is collected.
- Right to access: After the data is collected, EU citizens have the right to know how the information was collected, processed, and stored. What data are there in the store and for what purpose.
- Right to rectification: Citizens have the right to correct their data if there is any incorrect or incomplete information in the storage.
- Right to erasure: Citizens may request for deletion of their personal data permanently. This right is also known as the right to be forgotten.
- Right to restrict processing: Citizens now have the right to suppress or stop the processing and use of their personal data.
- Right to data portability: Citizens now have the right to move, transfer, or copy their personal data from one collector to another in a safe and secure way.
- Right to object: Citizens have the right to object to being subject to public authorities or any organizations processing their information without their consent.
- Rights related to automated decision making: Citizens have the right to demand human intervention rather than having important decisions made by an algorithm.
What is required to make your form GDPR Compliant?
You need the following features to make your forms GDPR compliant –
- Ask users’ consent for using and storing their personal data
- Allow your users to access their data stored in your website
- Allow your users to request for deletion of their data from your website
Why is it important for your site?
If you are dealing with the personal data of EU citizens, it is a legal requirement for you to be GDPR compliant. On the other hand, it increases the level of trust of your viewers. They feel safe to share their personal data with you. If you are GDPR compliant, they feel assured about the protection of their data.
Organizations need to consider several factors to make their website GDPR compliant. A business website should chalk out a specific plan for collecting personal data, and how to use that data on lawful grounds.
What are the essential features of a quality GDPR compliant form?
- Simple language: It is the key to winning the trust of your visitors. GDPR requires transparency on your part. Use simple sentences and be to the point. Users should clearly understand your message.
- Granular consent options: GDPR makes it mandatory to be specific about the activity or the purpose for which you ask for users’ consent. So, mention it clearly on your website. There should not be any scope for ambiguity.
- Allow users to opt-in: GDPR clearly states that the users’ consent must be given freely. Things like pre-checked boxes are forbidden. So, be careful while adding checkboxes.
- Keep updated records: GDPR makes it compulsory for you to be able to produce your stored information before the users if they ask for it. You have to delete some information also on users’ requests. So it is necessary for you to be updated.
How to create a GDPR form?
Creating GDPR form is not at all a big deal. Nowadays most of the WordPress form plugins come with exclusive features to make your forms GDPR compliant. You just have to install and activate the plugins. Here we’ll show you how to create GDPR compliant forms using four different plugins –
WP Contact Form plugin comes with one click GDPR agreement field. You can make your forms GDPR compliant following the steps below –
- Install & Activate WP Forms and head to the dashboard
- Go to WP Forms -> Settings
- Scroll down to GDPR section & Click on the box next to GDPR enhancement
- You will find two more GDPR settings – Disable user cookies & Disable user details
- Clicking Disable user cookies will stop storing data about user sessions
- Clicking Disable user details will stop storing user IP address and browser information
- If you are using the Lite version these two options aren’t displayed.
- Click on the Save button
- WP Form is now ready to create GDPR compliant forms
- Go to WP Forms -> Add New to create new forms
Contact Form 7 is a popular WordPress Form plugin. It provides an Acceptance Form tag type to display acceptance checkboxes for obtaining users contents for specific information.
The latest version of Contact Form 7 allows you to directly set parameters to the acceptance box. You can create GDPR compliant forms using this plugin following the steps below –
- Install & Activate the plugin and head to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to Contact -> Contact Form
- Click on the Form option on your screen
- Under “Label your message” insert the following consent text
- Click on the Save button
- A GDPR consent checkbox will generate with the text you added
Ninja Form comes with some exclusive features to allow you to create GDPR compliance on your WordPress forms.
The features are given with details below –
- Inform users that your form collects their personal data: Under GDPR, it is mandatory to inform your users that you are collecting their personal data. You can place an HTML field on your form to let your users know that you are collecting their personal information.
- Request for users’ consent: You need your users’ consent before you collect their personal information. A checkbox or list of checkboxes is the best way to take their consent. With Ninja Form, you just have to enable the required field in the list of checkboxes. Your users cannot submit any form until they tick on the checkbox.
To make a GDPR compliance form with ninja form with advanced field options, you need a plugin known as Add-on Manager. This will manage the links properly. You can download it from WordPress.org. But it only works with the pro versions.
After you install and activate the Addon Manager plugin, you need to follow the steps below –
- Go to your WordPress dashboard
- Click on Ninja Form -> Add new
- A new page will open with many drag & drop field it includes checkboxes as well
- Just drag & drop the fields you wish to add to your forms
- Your form is ready!
Gravity Form doesn’t come with inbuilt features for GDPR compliance. However, you can add a checkbox with specific content to collect users’ consent and create GDPR compliant forms.
For adding the GDPR compliance on WordPress, you will need a third-party plugin as they have integration with Gravity Form. You can use WP GDPR by Appsaloon. If you are also using a feed based add-on with your form, such as MailChimp, you can configure conditional logic on the feed so it will only be processed if the user has checked a consent field.
How to keep up to date records of consent collected?
After the implementation of GDPR, you are bound to produce collected data before the data subjects if they ask for it. So, it is essential to keep an updated record. Keeping a track of your collected data is not at all difficult if you are using WordPress. There are many plugins available for the purpose. Here we’ll show you how to do that using ninja forms.
Ninja Form allows you to follow two major elements of GDPR compliance: the right to access and the right to be forgotten.
After you install and activate Ninja Form you’ll find two options in your dashboard under tools section –
- Export personal data
- Erase personal data
If you click any of the tabs, a search box will appear on your screen. You can search for users’ data by username and email id.
The export option will let you generate digital documents about users’ information and share it with them and the erase option will allow you to delete the store information.
The export option allows you to sort data by their date of entry. You can choose the period for which you want to see the collected information. There is no need to put any extra effort to keep your record updated.
Easy way to make GDPR Compliant Contact forms with WP Legal Pages Pro –
The first step is to install and activate the plugin –
- Buy WP Legal Pages Pro from WPeka website and then install and activate it.
- The pro version of the plugin requires the free version installed on your local device.
- You can download WP Legal Pages from WordPress.org and then install and activate that before you go for the pro version.
- Now you can integrate it with WP form plugins.
- Here we’ll show you for two different plugins, Contact Form 7 & Gravity Form.
Here are the steps you need to follow –
- Head on to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to Legal Pages – > Settings
If you use Contact Form 7, you have to add an “Acceptance Field” to your contact form. It will appear as a link in your form next to a checkbox.
The link will point to the created policy page. Clicking on the checkbox will indicate that a user has given his consent.
- Gravity Form
Hope we could give you some valuable insights into how to create GDPR compliant consent forms. Try the steps you will be able to create your GDPR consent form on your own within a few minutes.
If you liked the article please share it on Twitter. You can share it by clicking on the “Click to share” button below. We would like to hear from you, please leave your feedback on the comments section. Let us know if you have any questions. We will be happy to answer your queries.