The definition of personal data usually includes:
- The names of the users, their addresses (physical or e-mail)
- IP addresses, telephone numbers, date of birth
- Financial information, for example debit or credit card details.
The framework varies from region to region. You need to form your policy based on the guidelines set by the administration in your area of operation. If you are dealing with the personal data of EU citizens, you have to follow GDPR. If you are operating in California or using the citizens’ personal information, you will fall under CCPA.
- All information that you collect about the users or visitors of your website
- The methods you use to collect users’ information
- Name of the third party advertisers collecting users information on your site
- How your users can opt-out of the third-party advertisements and block cookies
- Your contact details so that users can reach you if they need to
In order to create a privacy page on the WordPress website, you need to follow the steps below –
- Head on to your WordPress dashboard
- Hover your mouse to Pages and click Add New
- Go to your Dashboard and hover over Appearance and click Menus
- Select the page to add to the menu and click Save
- If you want to add more items in your menu, read this guide on how to create a menu and sub-menu easily with a drag & drop editor.
- Now hover over Appearance and click on widgets. Go to the Navigation menu.
- Select the Footer column you want to add to.
- Select the menu you want to add from the drop down, and you are done!
WP Legal Pages is a WordPress plugin that allows you to create attorney level privacy policies on your website. The plugin comes with many rich features to make your site compliant with the privacy policies of different countries without any coding knowledge.
All you need to do is to install and activate the plugin. But the pro version of the plugin requires the free version to be installed first. You can download it from WordPress.org.
After you have activated the plugin, follow the steps below to create a legal template –
- Go to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to WPLegalPages – > Create Page
- Select the Type of website you have
- On the right side of your screen, a number of templates will appear
- Click on the template you want to add
- You can edit the content of the template in the editor if you want.
- Now click on the publish button
- Your legal template will be added to your website
- After selecting the template you can see all required data and links in template. You will also find shortcode added at the bottom. This shortcode will render a table of cookies with details of third party companies, cookie purpose and links to cookie & privacy policies of these companies.
- To automatically collect cookies and cookie data you need to scan for available cookies using WP GDPR COOKIE CONSENT plugin.
- Footer or Sidebar
- Email subscription form
- Contact form
- Cookie consent popup